The AAEM awards scholarships to eligible applicants each year at the AAEM Annual Conference.
Application packets and deadline information will be made available each year prior to the conference.
Alabama Association of Emergency Managers (AAEM) provides a scholarship program for those with the desire, determination and the spirit to pursue a Bachelor's or Master's Degree in Emergency Management or closely related field. A committee of Past Presidents will determine the qualification of the applicant, to include whether or not the selection of the curriculum is related to Emergency Management.
- Non-members must be recommended by a member of the Alabama Association of Emergency Managers (AAEM).
- Members of the association may also apply directly.
- Applicant must be a resident of the State of Alabama for at least one calendar year with an Alabama driver’s license; a copy of the driver's license must be included with the AAEM Scholarship Approved Application Form.
- A minimum of the AAEM Basic Level Certification (BLEM) is required to apply.
- Must submit entire application to the Board of Directors at least 90 days prior to the Annual Conference. Applications must be submitted through the Area Director of the area in which the applicant lives.
- The applicant must receive a majority vote from the Committee of Past Presidents and an approval from the Board of Directors.
- The Association has determined a set amount of $1,500.00 per award per academic year ($750 per semester) and awardees must prove academic eligibility for each semester award.
- Scholarship applicants should include a personal 500-700 word document that describes their desire, intent, future plans, past accomplishments, community service and any other justifications for award of the scholarship.
Note to Applicants
All facets of each application will be considered, including, but not limited to:
- EMA relationships
- EM experience
- EM or related volunteer work
- EMA, AAEM or affiliate professional certifications
- Academic records
- Financial needs, etc.