Basic Level Certification
The Basic Level certification is an entry-level certification for emergency managers. This level of certification requires a total of 300 hours of training.
Those who have earned Basic Level certification are entitled to use the BLEM designation.
The following courses are required as part of this level of certification:
- IS-3 RADIOLOGICAL EMERGENCY MANAGEMENT
- IS-5.a AN INTRODUCTION TO HAZARDOUS MATERIALS
- IS-15 SPECIAL EVENTS CONTINGENCY PLANNING FOR PUBLIC SAFETY AGENCIES
- IS-42 SOCIAL MEDIA IN EMERGENCY MANGEMENT
- IS-100 INTRODUCTION TO INCIDENT COMMAND
- IS-120 AN ORIENTATION TO COMMUNITY DISASTER EXERCISES
- IS-200 ICS FOR SINGLE AND INITIAL ACTION INCIDENTS
- IS-230.d FUNDAMENTALS OF EMERGENCY MANAGEMENT
- Q-890 EMERGENCY RESPONSE TO TERRORISM
In addition to the required courses, this level of certification requires:
- A total of 200 hours of 'core' curriculum (FEMA and other emergency management training). The required training courses count toward the 200 hour total.
- A total of 100 hours of 'optional' training. Optional training includes other public safety and general management training and education.